Friday, August 15, 2008

When the Party Ended at Twilight

When the party ended at twilight
And cigarettes smashed in butter,
The place was alive with forgotten promises.
I was astounded by the clutter.

I said "good morning", our goodbye.
And headed for the pool.The presents
I received that night
Were sparkling like a jewel.

The wedding gifts were fancy.
I had planned a gown of lace.
Now lace was tossed and tattered,
Paper ribbons filled the place.

Because I had soon decided
To change plans and fire the band
And to remain a spinster
To me that sounded grand.

Across the room I saw him,
My love Paul from years ago,
He had since married another
Someone I used to know.

The memories were so vivid
Of our classring exchange at the prom.
But then he married my best friend
And I'm engaged to Tom.

"So here we are", I thought last night
The sparks began to fly.
I thought if Paul would look at me,
I would probably say "Hi!"

But then his wife was at his side
She said she liked Tom best
I threw my ring into the pool
And built my private nest.

No comments: