Friday, August 15, 2008

If I Were a Book, Which Book Would I Be?

If I were a book,
The book I would be
Would be a collection of songs from the farm
Combined with the manuscript I wrote a few years ago
And this time I would not loan it to a priest.
I would keep it to myself, to say the least.
On the cover would be photographs of butterflies,
Pink butterflies,
And a carnation,
A rose,
Blue blossoms
Lillies of the valley,
Outlined with lace.
There would be copies of hymns,
Photographs of my mother and father,
And the secretary of space.
There would be photographs of airplanes,
Bavarian castles,
Shakespeare's sonnets,
Of musical instruments,
The pages would be permanently perfumed
And would be textured to the touch.
I would want a picture of a house in the desert.
Of the Scotch countryside,
And a photograph of the Cibeles Fountain in Madrid.
It would be of about 77 pages, with removable binding
So I could add pages,
Like a diary.
Each page would be hand lettered.
There would be several photographs of gardens,
All in color,
Of country farms,
And some trees.
There would be pastel colors,
The kind that please.
I will carry the book around with me so I will not lose it.
Because it will be so beautiful,
Someone else may choose it.

No comments: